I'm a computer hardware and software enthusiast.
Professionally a software developer, in my free time I toy with hardware and write even more software, such as GPUPerfTests. Sometimes I also play some video games... sometimes.
I also do microprocessor annotations, trying to figure out and (mostly) guess what specific parts of the chip do. And I really like any form of parallel computing and virtualization, no idea why.
As for my tangible skills - yes this partly serves as a quick resume - I can program in C, C++, C#, Java and Python at a fairly good level, I'm also quite competent with webdev and Linux system administration as I've been running my own servers for various things for a long time. Of course from the hobby side of things I also know a thing or two about Verilog, FPGA development and embedded firmware development (ok, that last one I actually used to do professionally too).
Lastly some notable things I did or do that are not related to this site:
- I wrote and maintain one of the monitor testing tools HardwareUnboxed and MonitorsUnboxed use.
- I sometimes help either with testing or by providing technical expertise for various tech sites such as Chips and Cheese.
- Years ago I used to moderate, then administer, and then eventually host the now shut down Minecraft server Redstoner.
About the Machines
Now it wouldn't be a complete tech blog/website without a list and specs of the PCs I have and use. (and I'm also tired of referring people to pcpartpicker when they ask for specs).
Main Desktop PC
This is my primary PC I use for my day to day being, hobbies and gaming.Specs
- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
- ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO
- GIGABYTE X570S Aero G
- 4x 32GB Micron MTA18ASF4G72AZ-3G2B1 DDR4-3200 ECC
- Palit GeForce RTX 4070 Jetstream 12GB (with 3x Noctua NF-A9x14 fans)
- Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD
- Kingston KC3000 2TB NVMe SSD
- Mellanox ConnectX-3 10GbE SFP+ Add-in Card
- Corsair RM850i + Custom CableMod replacement cables
- Fractal Design Define 7 Compact White
- Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown)
- Logitech G502 Lightspeed
- Native Instruments Komplete Audio 1 Interface
- Sennheiser HD 560S
- LEWITT LCT 240 PRO
- LG 32GK650F (1440p144 VA, Primary)
- Fujitsu E24-8 TS Pro (1080p60 IPS)
- LG OLED55BX (4K120 OLED, By the bed via a Club3D CAC-1377 optical HDMI)
Home Server & NAS
This is my main home server and NAS. Using Proxmox, it runs various virtual machines such as TrueNAS, pfSense, a VM running the home print server, a Bitwarden VM and also CI/CD VMs for my GitLab instance and more.Specs
- AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
- SilentiumPC Spartan 4
- ASRockRack X570D4U-2L2T (with a Noctua NF-A4x10 zip-tied to the chipset)
- 2x 32GB Micron MTA18ASF4G72AZ-3G2B1 DDR4-3200 ECC
- 2x 32GB Kingston Server Premier DDR4-3200 ECC
- 2x Kingston KC3000 1TB NVMe SSD (Proxmox VM pool mirror)
- 3x SK Hynix HFS960GD0MEE-5410A 960GB NVMe SSD (TrueNAS fast pool RAID-Z1)
- 3x Toshiba MG06ACA800E 8TB 7200rpm SATA HDD (TrueNAS slow pool RAID-Z1)
- Intel X550 Dual 10GbE (Onboard, Host and VMs via SR-IOV)
- Intel i210 1GbE (Onboard, pfSense WAN)
- Intel i210 1GbE (Onboard, pfSense LAN)
- Seasonic Focus GX 650W
- Cooler Master Force 500
This is the server this very website is hosted on! It is an auction server I rent from Hetzner.Specs
- Intel Xeon E3-1275 v6
- Fujitsu D3417-B2 (C236 Chipset)
- 4x 16GB Micron DDR4-2400 ECC
- Intel HD Graphics P630 iGPU
- 3x Samsung PM981 512GB NVMe SSD (root 3-way mirror, data pool RAID-Z1)
- Intel i219-LM 1GbE (with symmetric 1Gbit to the outside internet)